We do lots of things at Alabama Family Dental to give you a great dental checkup. We offer you a “comfort menu” to find out how we can best keep you relaxed while you’re in our chair. We use patient-friendly technology like digital X-rays and an intraoral camera to examine you with a minimal amount of poking and prodding. Most of all, we treat you with care and respect.
But there are some things you can do too, to ensure you dental checkup goes as smoothly as possible. We’re sharing them with you here, so we can give you a great experience on your next visit. If you need to make an appointment for your next dental exam in Montgomery, AL, call us at 251-241-0890. Unlike many general dental practices, we even offer Friday and Saturday hours for added scheduling convenience.
Why Your Dental Checkup Is So Important
In some ways, maintaining your mouth is like maintaining your car. Routine care is much easier and less expensive than waiting until a major fix is needed. For example, if Dr. Whatley finds a cavity during your dental checkup, he can usually repair it with a filling. Without a filling, decay will continue to spread throughout your tooth. Then you’ll need a dental crown or even a root canal to stop the damage. You could even end up losing your tooth!
Some of the other things that Dr. Whatley looks for, so we can treat them in their early stages:
- Gum disease. Since gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults, we check for signs of it every time we see you. In its early stages, we can get rid of it by eliminating bacteria with a thorough cleaning. More advanced cases require a deep cleaning treatment called scaling and root planing.
- Dry mouth. This condition isn’t just uncomfortable, it also makes you more prone to tooth decay. We may suggest fluoride treatments and special mouth rinses or other products.
- Worn-down teeth. Teeth that appear worn-down can be caused by teeth grinding (bruxism). If you grind your teeth while sleeping, you may not even know you have this destructive habit! In addition to hurting your teeth, bruxism can cause headaches and other health problems. We may recommend a mouthguard.
- Cancer. We look for signs of oral cancer and pharyngeal cancer during your dental exams. If we see any causes for concern, we refer you to a doctor to get it checked out.
6 Tips for a Great Dental Checkup
We want you to get the maximum benefit from your dental checkup. These six tips will help you do so:
- Book two exams a year. We recommend biannual exams to keep your teeth in terrific shape. If you’re prone to tartar buildup on your teeth or similar issues, we may suggest more frequent appointments.
- Ask questions. A dental checkup is a great time for Dr. Whatley to address your questions. Write them down beforehand – or make a note in your phone – so you won’t forget.
- Pick a time that suits you. If you don’t like to do anything but drink coffee in the morning, schedule your dental checkup in the afternoon. If you like to cross items off your to-do list early, see us in the morning. We open at 8 a.m.
- Don’t forget paperwork. Before you leave for your appointment, make sure you have your insurance card, your child’s Social Security card, or other documents you may need. If you’re a new patients you can download and fill out paperwork prior to your first visit.
- Get your next appointment on the calendar. Schedule your next dental exam so you don’t forget! You can always adjust the date later, if necessary. Make a note of it on your smartphone or wherever you keep reminders.
- Brush and floss at home. Daily oral hygiene is the most important thing you can do to avoid dental problems and keep your mouth healthy!
Ready to schedule your dental checkup? Call Alabama Family Dental at 251-241-0890.