Question: what is the best treatment for tooth decay?
- Root canals
- Regular exams and cleanings to prevent cavities
We hope you chose answer #3! At Alabama Family Dental, we believe in the value of prevention. While we do perform tooth extractions when you need them, we’d rather you keep your natural teeth healthy for life.
We’re the Mobile, AL choice for preventive dentistry. Whether you have 2 or 32 teeth, we want you to keep – and care for – all of them. Come see us at every stage of life:
- To keep your child comfortable around our office, bring them in when their first tooth erupts.
- As your kiddos grow, stay on top of regular exams and cleanings so we can monitor tooth development and keep teeth healthy.
- Adults need preventive dentistry too! Keep your smile clean and healthy while modeling good habits for your little ones.
Remember, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Save your family money, time, and stress by blocking bacteria.
Nip Tooth Decay in the Bud
Despite what you may believe, brushing is not enough! Diligently cleaning your teeth the correct way will yield results. Your mouth will feel clean, and you can trust that it is clean.
- Brush your teeth at least two times per day. Two minutes is a good length of time to spend brushing, but how you brush is just as important as how long. Be sure to cover the surface of every tooth using short strokes.
- Flossing is every bit as important as brushing. But, as with brushing, how you floss is important.
- Use an alcohol-free rinse to kill off lingering bacteria. Many types of mouthwash have alcohol in them, which actually dries out your mouth.
- Visit Alabama Family Dental at least two times per year. If more visits are recommended, make them a priority.
If you’re following the first three steps, you may think you can space out your exams to once every few years. But that’s a dangerous assumption! We do a lot for your teeth and gums that you can’t do at home.
Prioritize Dental Exams and Cleanings
A visit to the dentist isn’t just a quick look at what you’ve been doing. Dr. Whatley will inspect your gums, teeth, soft tissues, bite, and more. We can identify problem areas in advance.
In addition to checking out your chompers and making sure everything is as it should be, our staff will use their skills and tools to make your smile spotless and bright. This, too, is not just cosmetic. Regular dental cleanings are part of preventive care:
- We remove plaque and tartar before bacteria starts decaying your teeth.
- Polishing your teeth makes them smooth and shiny. This looks great, but it also makes it harder for bacteria to stick.
- We can provide a fluoride rinse to fortify your teeth against plaque between appointments.
- If you don’t already have sealants, we may apply this plastic barrier to your back teeth. Sealants are a great way to keep bacteria out of the groovy surface of your molars.
Protect your Family with Preventive Dentistry
A lot of folks think coming to the dentist twice a year is a hassle, especially if they’ve got to schedule exams and cleanings for the whole family. But these visits are a lot better than having to come for complicated procedures that may require multiple appointments. You save more than money when you pencil in prevention:
- Don’t forget, cavities usually hurt! Whether you have decay on the surface of your tooth or in the root, that unwanted guest will make itself known through inflammation.
- If you ignore oral hygiene long enough, you could lose your tooth. The practical and aesthetic consequences of this are far-reaching.
- Fillings, root canals, crowns, and implants all have some recovery time. Our state-of-the-art technology and skilled team work quickly and painlessly, but if you’re trying to save time by avoiding the dentist, you’re just borrowing it from your future self.
Don’t Let Laziness Sneak up on You
It’s easy to come home late and think, “I can skip brushing and flossing just this once,” then fall into bed with a mouth full of gunk. The problem is that it’s even easier not to notice you’ve done this several nights in a row. And if you’re doing it, your family is probably following your lead.
You may have heard the phrase “practice makes perfect.” At Alabama Family Dental, we believe practice makes prevention. You may not think you feel the benefits of being conscientious about your smile, but you’ll definitely feel the consequences if you don’t.
Call us today at 251-241-0890 to schedule exams and cleanings for your whole family. We can see what you don’t feel, but only if you visit us.